Today many families consist of unmarried parents with children. In order to protect the best interests of these children, it is generally presumed that custody, visitation and child support should be set out in an enforceable court order. To obtain an order regarding custody, visitation and child support, the parents or another interested party should file a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR).

A SAPCR can address custody, visitation, child support, parentage (paternity), termination of parental rights, suits for sibling access, suits for grandparent access, and other important issues.

The parties to a SAPCR can negotiate all of the terms for custody, visitation and child support, they can adopt the Texas guidelines, or they can present their case to the court for a decision. The benefit of a SAPCR is in securing a resulting enforceable order; most people find that the order provides the parties and the children peace-of-mind and day-to-day structure.

If you think you need to file a SAPCR, or you were recently served with a SAPCR, contact the law firm of ALSTON & ENGALHAUPT, PLLC today; inaction may cause you to lose the chance to protect your parental rights. The firm offers complimentary consultations, and its experienced custody and child support attorneys will provide you with all of the information you need regarding SAPCRs, as well as advice regarding your specific case.

For more information about family law in Fort Bend County, Harris County, Galveston County and Brazoria County including Sugar Land, Missouri City, Stafford, Richmond, Rosenberg, Fresno, Clear Lake, League City, Webster, Friendswood, Pearland, and the Houston metropolitan area, or if you require a family law attorney, please contact us.